Six Reasons Why Community Matters in the Workplace
When you hear the word community, you probably think of your support system, friends, and family members. But community is also extremely important in the workplace! Did you know that the average person spends around ⅓ of their life at work. That's 90,000 hours over the course of a lifetime! With so much of your life spent at work, your quality of life and sense of belonging while at work can make or break your experience.
Community matters in the workplace because it fosters a sense of belonging and connection among employees, which can lead to increased engagement, productivity, and job satisfaction. A supportive community can also create a positive work environment and promote collaboration and innovation. Here are six reasons why fostering your workplace community is important:
1. A sense of community in the workplace fosters a positive work environment where employees feel valued and supported. When people feel like they are part of a team, they are more likely to be invested in their work and motivated to do their best. This can lead to higher productivity, better collaboration, and a more cohesive company culture.
2. Building a strong community in the workplace also helps to promote open communication and trust between team members. When employees feel comfortable sharing their ideas and opinions, they are more likely to contribute to the success of the team. This can lead to a more creative and innovative work environment, as well as a greater sense of job satisfaction for everyone involved.
3. A strong sense of community in the workplace can also help to reduce stress and promote mental health. When employees feel like they have a support system in their colleagues, they are less likely to feel isolated or overwhelmed by the demands of their job. This can lead to a happier and healthier workforce, which in turn can lead to greater productivity and job satisfaction.
4. Community in the workplace can also help to foster a sense of belonging and inclusivity. When employees feel like they are part of a community, they are more likely to feel like they belong and are valued for who they are. This can help to create a more diverse and inclusive workplace, where everyone feels comfortable and respected.
5. A strong sense of community in the workplace can also help to promote employee retention. When employees feel like they are part of a team and are valued for their contributions, they are more likely to stay with their company long-term. This can help to reduce turnover and save companies time and money in recruiting and training new employees.
6. Finally, building a sense of community in the workplace can have a positive impact on the broader community outside of work. When companies promote a culture of community and collaboration, they are more likely to engage in philanthropic and community-focused initiatives. This can help to create a positive impact on the world and enhance the reputation of your business.
If you’re a business owner or leader, fostering community can be a challenge on top of all your other competing priorities! We also know it’s hard to effectively and regularly develop your team when you wear so many other hats. That's why we developed our Team Series.
The Team Series is a comprehensive team development program that delivers life coaching, professional coaching, and team coaching in a small, group format. When adopted, our curriculum increases communication and creates behaviors that produce solution-focused strategies, professionalism, and stronger results within the team. Contact us today for a discovery call!
Wishing you and your teams an intentional sense of community,